Friday, February 13, 2009

On affording children.....

The addage goes, "if you wait until you can afford children, you'll never have them." I firmly believe this. You can also have all the best laid intentions for being prepared and lots of things go wrong. Nine months is a LONG TIME.........just ask anyone who's been pregnant.

As for us personally, when we got pregnant this time around, we both had decent jobs at decent wages and we were finally getting on higher ground financially. The weekend I got pregnant is the same week Eric lost his job. Had I known that was going to happen, we'd have stopped trying.

Had I known that three weeks before my scheduled c/s I would lose my own job, we'd have stopped trying. I had no reason at all to think that I wasn't going to eventually be hired permanently at HMH. Unfortunately, my lack of forethought proved me wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the joy of a child in your life is priceless.

Children are a gift from God and should be treated as such.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

oh andrea! i completely agree with this. although we werent trying to get pregnant, i wouldnt change a thing for anything in the world. if somebody told me that id get pregnant 5 weeks after getting married, a year before my college graduation, i'd have said they were crazy. but now that katherine is here i know for sure everything happened for a reason :)