Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pregnancy Honeymoon

This is the time in your pregnancy that starts as soon as your appetite comes back from being nauseous all the time (or from spending more time iwth the Porcelain Goddess than with anyone else in your life) and ends the minute you start thinking "oh my God, get this kid out of me" and you start filing eviction notices on your baby.

I'm really hoping I'll get a good four month honeymoon out of this kid. I got 5 months out of Duck because, well, I was just so busy all the time that I didn't have time to think about the fact that it was 95+ degrees outside with 100% humidity every single day and I was out walking in it all the time. So, it wasn't til about 3-4 weeks before Duck was born that I filed his eviction notice.

It took a long time to get here, so I'm enjoying my pregnancy this time around.

More about our appt yesterday:
  • We met with a genetics counselor at the hospital first. He took a detailed history from me on my siblings, their children, my parents, my parents siblings and their children. I have some "homework" to do as far as some questions to ask, but nothing too difficult.
  • We had several options from do nothing to do an amnio at 15 weeks. We opted for the least invasive option and had them do an ultrasound and blood draw yesterday. I'll go back again in a few weeks for another blood draw. If something shows up on any of that, we'll talk about doing an Amniocentesis. Nothing is guaranteed.
  • So, we had the ultrasound to measure for Down Syndrome and they wanted the fluid to measure less than 3 mm. It was 1.98 mm. I'm good there, plus the baby has a nasal bone, making our odds even less. No other abdnormalites.
  • Since the baby was extremely cooperative in the first 4 minutes, the tech was able to play around and get a good shot of the baby's bits. But, given that it was prior to 13 weeks, she could only give an educated guess. She saidshe's rarely wrong, though. So, get ready for baby Henry James!
  • His heartbeat was 160 bpm yesterday.
  • My weight was 161.5 lbs, but I attribute that to the fact I had jeans on and it was a scale different from my OB's. (I doubt I gained 2.5 pounds in 4 days, but I did get my appetite back this week)
  • I have a lovely lumpy bruise from the blood draw. Not happy about that one. I don't like needles and this one freaking HURT!
That's all for now.

No comments: